What would have been healthcare and diagnosis without the modern technologies and innovations in the medical field? How should one be able to look after his/her health? In this modern world with the advent of new diseases and health issues, the development of biomedical technologies is very important. Its application knows no bounds when it comes to treating diseases, performing surgical operations, diagnosing one’s health, preparing medical formulas and much more.In this article, we will discuss some amazing applications of Information Technology.
The application of Information Technology in the field of medical and bioinformatics is very much crucial and important. More technologies are being developed to tackle the ever-increasing health issues in the modern population. Life would have been very difficult without the technological accessibility that we have in the particular field. Here are some of the top technologies that are being currently implemented and are in a strong running phase in the healthcare field.
- Sensors and Wearable Devices are one of the most predominant things that run the complete system of personal health care, neuroscience, neural prosthetics etc. In the system of personal health care, we have smart bands and smartwatches which analyses the complete measure of our daily activities such as steps of walking, calorie intake and amount of sleep and gives us a complete data regarding our personal care. Now if we move towards the world of neuroscience and neural prosthetics then we can see what is the effect of Brain-Computer Interface in this field. Brain-Computer Interface has changed the world of neural prosthetics as now people with paralysis can move their hands and legs with the help of prosthetic limbs which they can control with the brain impulses. In the field of Neuroscience, Brain-computer Interface played a wide role in helping for certain neural discoveries and neural disorder treatments.
- Remote Monitoring System is playing a great role in helping patients by eradicating frequent physician visits and frequent health monitoring issues. With the advent of such technology as remote monitoring system now the patients with acute heart diseases need not visit the physician frequently for pacemaker checks and heartbeat monitoring because the pacemaker which is installed in the patient’s body can now remotely send the data to the physician and the physician can now analyze and monitor the data remotely. Moreover, some physicians ask their patients to get wearables which can remotely transfer the data of patient’s body to the physician so that the physician can monitor and analyze all the data received from the wearable device of the patient. Sometimes this idea of remote monitoring of the body may sound pretty invasive but this kind of technology is very much helpful for the people suffering from serious and chronic illness.
- E-Prescribing/Tele-Medicine is another such technology which is eliminating the complete hassle of visiting physician, waiting for long queues, traveling to far places to meet your doctor etc. E-prescribing gives a simple solution of consulting a doctor without visiting his clinic rather sitting at home and getting prescribed by him online. E-Prescribing also reduces time consumption that was earlier required to visit a doctor and it also allows the doctor to clearly understand your problem and also you to understand what the doctor is prescribing. Previously for any kind of small health issue like a headache, Stomach-ache etc. you would have to run to the doctor but at this point of time, you can visit some user recommended website on the internet to get the name of the accurate medicine that you require for resolving the issue. So the E-Prescribing Technology is taking a great leap in improving the healthcare industry to move online.
- Pharmacogenomics/genome sequencing is another great technology where the complete world of Data Science and Big Data Analytics is present. Pharmacogenomics is a technology where it gives proper results to the role of genes and genomic variants in clinical treatment response. The Pharmacogenomics concept uses proper genome sequencing of the genetic data from a large number of patients and can predict the drug which would be much more suitable for a patient in his treatment according to his genomic variant. At times during ongoing treatment, doctors prescribe some drugs which may treat the health issue but can have serious side effects like weakening the patient, the appearance of allergies and much more also sometimes the same drug used to cure one patient may not be helpful to treat other patient and can make the situation worse. Also for different genetic variants, the dosage limit of a particular drug also differs and pharmacogenomics also helps in identifying proper dosage limit for a particular genetic variant. So if a doctor uses the concept of Pharmacogenomics in prescribing the medicines and performing proper clinical treatment on patients, then curing the patients would be much easier and would be much more error free.
- Clinical Decision Support System is a kind of health information technology system which facilitates the doctor and other health professionals with perfect decision support for prescribing medicines, clinical surgeries and some other clinical decision-making tasks. Clinical Decision Support System has increased the quality of healthcare and has improved the efficiency and patient satisfaction by dodging errors and adverse effects on patients such as mixing incompatible medications. The Clinical DeciSupport Sysi Support System is mainly of two types
- Knowledge-Based System: In this kind of Clinical Decision Support System, it administers certain rules using an interference engine and gives the adequate results in the user end. The Interference Engine is mainly controlled by the Physician or the doctor and rules in the engine which is always referred to create results.
- Non-Knowledge Based System: This kind of Clinical Decision Support System completely depends upon machine learning to fetch and calculate the result based on the clinical data provided to it. This type of system requires a huge amount of training data set to train the artificial neural networks to predict and provide appropriate health care solutions and compatible clinical medications. However, as the systems are based on machine learning and artificial intelligence so they don’t provide reasons for their calculated conclusions of the treatment that they provide so they are less used by the doctors for direct diagnosis, but this type of system can be very much useful in performing post diagnosis analysis to look into the depth of the health issue.
Thus, we can see from the above discussion as for how Information Technology is changing the modern society when it comes to healthcare and providing optimal treatment to patients. Moreover, the research that is going to the biomedical, bioinformatics and Neuroscience field has also gathered many leaps after the advent of Information Technology.